I Say "Tomayto", You Say "Tomahto": Exploring Variation in Language
Date: Sunday, May 18th, 2003 Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Kathleen Yamane
As the song suggests, we all speak dialects. The purpose of this workshop is to explore the linguistic nature of regional speech varieties and applications for the classroom. The first part of the presentation will be a general discussion of variation in language, including a basic framework for considering language change over time and space. About the presenter: Kathleen Yamane has an MA in linguistics from Cornell University. She teaches at Eichi (Sapientia) University in Hyogo Prefecture. Her research interests include sociolinguistics and semantics.
Organization: Ibaraki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Ibaraki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Tsuchiura Ulara Bldg.--Kennan Shougai-Gakushuu Center (across from Tsuchiura Station)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Ibaraki JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0298-58-9523
Email QR Code: