Temple University Japan:
Misunderstanding Talk: Discourse Approaches to Problematic Interaction
Date: Saturday, May 24th, 2003 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Gabriele Kasper, University of Hawaii
Misunderstanding is not the doubtful privilege of nonnative speakers but a regular occurrence in interactions between competent interlocutors. Nevertheless, more limited access to communicative resources and sociocultural knowledge makes interaction more vulnerable to various kinds of trouble. This seminar by Dr. Gabriele Kasper explores different types of misunderstanding from a variety of theoretical perspectives and discusses several research approaches that have been proven useful in the study of problematic talk.
This seminar is part of TUJ's Distinguished Lecturer Series. Note that each seminar is actually 2 days long, apx. 7 hours per day. The first three hours of each seminar are free and open to the public. To attend both days of the weekend seminar costs 10,500 yen for the general public (free for M.Ed. and Ed.D. alumni of Temple University Japan). Please see the TUJ Tokyo web site for full details.
Organization: Temple University Japan
Cost: TUJ Members: free for M.Ed. and Ed.D. alumni of Temple University Japan
Non-members: free (first three hours)
Venue: Temple University Japan, Tokyo Center, 2-8-12 Minami Azabu; Minato-ku, Tokyo
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Temple University Japan
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 03-5441-9800