Text exploitation workshop: Moving from accuracy to fluency
Date: Sunday, June 18th, 2006 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Gerry Lassche
Current high school classroom conditions tend to prepare students for testing and university entrance exams, which creates conflicts with current communicative pedagogical practices. A more pedagogically sound rationale for extending fluency-based reading comprehension is provided in this workshop.
This rationale focuses on exploiting texts more deeply, beyond accuracy-based comprehension modes. It includes 4 parts:
1. looking at texts according to length of discourse;
2. categories of information as perceived by the text-maker and text-user, as well as from the text as a stand-alone product;
3. learner strategy development, for developing textual production;
4. and an evaluative phase of all the choices outlined.
In this workshop, participants will have a go hands-on with this rationale to exploit an example text, thus creating options which can serve as points of departure for material design. The handout used in the workshop is provided on this website. A journal article based on this rationale will be provided to participants as well.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Sendai Mediatheque map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: