Assessing English Proficiency by Computer: Call Software and Prosody Analysis
Date: Sunday, June 18th, 2006 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Hiroyuki Obari, Aoyama Gakuin University
This presentation is about effectiveness of the Computed Assessment System for English Communication (CASEC) as a means of assessing EFL learner's fluency in communication. The speaker and his associates compared the CASEC scores with the prosody analysis of the subjects' oral presentations. He will discuss the results of the comparison as well as some of the findings they have made on the prosody of Japanese speakers of English. Then, in addition, the latest software developed by the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) will be demonstrated to show how to automatically correct the pronunciation of Japanese speakers of English.
Hiroyuki Obari, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin Univ., MA in TESOL from Columbia Univ., PhD in Computer Science from Tsukuba University; Hiroaki Kojima, Senior Researcher at AIST, PhD in engineering from Kyoto Univ.; Machi Okamura, President of Prontest.
Organization: Gunma Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gunma JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Maebashi Kyoai Gakuen College, 1154-4 Koyahara-machi, Maebashi, Gunma (tel: 027-266-7575)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gunma JALT
Email QR Code: