Using a College Success textbook for university English students
Date: Saturday, June 24th, 2006 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Mark Cunningham
?College success courses and textbooks help new students adjust to an environment where they must take more responsibility for their learning while avoiding the many problems that contribute to the high dropout rates at many US universities. They are an increasingly common feature in US higher education. This presentation considers how the language of learning skills and strategies in college success courses textbooks can provide a useful foundation for integrated-skills, content-based language instruction, valuable opportunities for reflective learning about other cultures, about the distinctive culture of the university, and about learning itself.
The presenter describes experience with the use of a college success textbook in an advanced English for Academic Purposes class during five terms in an intensive English program. Student surveys, interviews, classroom video, and student-generated and instructor-generated materials and activities are discussed, along with student?fs views of tasks used in conjunction with the text and the extent to which they brought about improvement in specific areas such as vocabulary and reading speed and comprehension. The remainder of the presentation will focus on practical techniques for using content.
Organization: Akita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Akita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Room B103 at AIU (Akita International University)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Akita JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0184-22-1562
Phone (work): 0184-22-1562