Incorporating Thinking Skills and ESD in the FL Classroom
Date: Saturday, May 12th, 2007 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Judith Johnson
Linking foreign language learning and thinking skills to the world outside of school is a practical and holistic approach to education. This approach can help students better understand the world in which they live and the importance of foreign language learning, culture and communication in that world. It can help them face the future with hope and confidence, knowing that they can play a role in addressing the complex and interdependent problems that threaten our future. In this session, we will discuss language education within the broader context of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), focusing on the use of thinking skills in the classroom for the purpose of furthering sustainable development. Generic thinking and learning processes such as decision making, problem solving, evaluating and comparing that are used across all content areas and all areas of life will be applied to language learning and ESD. Bring your favorite textbook with you!
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kitakyushu International Conference Center, room 31 (a 5-minute walk from the Kokura train station for shinkansen, JR train)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: