Picture Books in EFL Classrooms
Date: Saturday, June 23rd, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Mayuka Habbick and Naoko McLellan
Experience how to make good use of authentic picture books with young EFL learners.
Stories help children become aware of the general 'feel' and sound of the foreign language. Stories also introduce children to language items and sentence constructions without their necessarily having to use them productively. (Andrew Wright, 2001). Giving young learners an opportunity to this language awareness experience is essential for later foreign language learning. Understanding how children acquire a foreign language from the point of child growth and learning process, the presenters will introduce how picture books can be a good source of language learning. Many easy but meaningful and practical activities that will deepen their understanding and that are FUN will be introduced through pre-reading, while-reading, and post-reading activities.
Organization: Kagoshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kagoshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kokusai Koryu Centre, Meeting Rooms A:B, Sendai City, Kagoshima Prefecture
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kagoshima JALT