Brazilian or Japanese: choosing the best education for children
Date: Sunday, May 13th, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Toshiko Sugino (National Defense Academy)
According to a 2004 Immigration Control Office survey, Nikkei-Brazilians account for nearly 300,000 of the 2 million registered foreign nationals in Japan. Why do some Nikkei-Brazilian parents choose Portuguese-mediated Brazilian schools over Japanese public schools for their children's education? Are there issues of identity shift and identity crisis involved? Sugino will share her investigation of factors that affect these children?fs language learning from historical, socio-political, and socio-economic perspectives.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Ginou Bunka Kaikan (Skills and Culture Center) near JR Kannai and Yokohama Subway Isezakichojamachi [See yojalt.bravehost.com for map]
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: