Pedagogical Issues Relating to the Study Abroad Experiences of Japanese University Students
Date: Saturday, June 23rd, 2007 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Michael Furmanovsky
This will be a two-part presentation focusing on pedagogical issues relating to the study abroad experiences of Japanese university students. In the first half, the speaker will present the results of his survey of 25 students studying for 6 weeks at a language center in Melbourne, Australia. The survey was designed to explore the students' actual day to day classroom experiences, their interactions with classmates from other Asian countries and their relationships with homestay families. In the second half, the focus will be on the possible pedagogical implications of the qualitative data attained, and the presenter will discuss two single-semester classes that he created at his university, one for students planning to go overseas ( "Talking about Japan in English ") and one for those returning from study abroad ( "Making Sense of Your Overseas Experience ").
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kyoto Kyoiku Bunka Center, 4-13 Kawahara-cho Shogo-in Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: