International English as a Performance Phenomenon
Date: Sunday, June 24th, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Kensaku Yoshida, Sophia University, Tokyo
For the majority of people in Asia, English is an "International" language, which is not necessarily related directly to any of the so-called mother-tongue Englishes. Although it is true that there are people who need to learn the native varieties of Englishes because they are studying English/American literature, British/American studies, etc., the great majority of the people are studying English in order to communicate with people from around the world. In this presentation, Prof. Yoshida will argue for a performance-based definition of "international Englisn" -- similar to that of bilingualism. International English should be considered in the context of "real" communication between people from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds. Another way to put this is to say that international English is "created" in the process of communication. Finally, he will argue, therefore, that international English can only be acquired through communicative language learning/teaching.
Organization: Fukui Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukui JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 2,000 yen (preregistration 1,500yen)
Venue: Fukui International Activities Plaza
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukui JALT
Email QR Code: