Perspective on Learner Demotivation
Date: Sunday, June 24th, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Joseph Falout
Abstract: Research shows the strongest influence on learner motivation is teacher behaviors, and past demotivation correlates with present negative affect and proficiency.
Students subjected to demotivating factors earlier in their learning are not able to control their affective states years later, causing a negative affective cycle that perpetuates demotivation.
The presentation will provide an overview of studies on learner demotivation, and will conclude with implications for teachers and learners.
Joseph Falout is an assistant professor at Nihon University. He started teaching ESL and college composition in 1991. His research theme has been demotivation in EFL learners in Japan.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Aoba-ku Chuo Shimin Center, (formerly called Ichiban-cho Shimin Center) 2-1-4 Ichiban-cho, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, 980-0811
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: