The Role of Strategies in Communicative Competence
Date: Saturday, October 20th, 2007 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Alastair Graham-Marr
Communicative Competence consists of grammatical competence, sociolinguistic competence, and strategic competence. Traditionally, classrooms have focused on grammatical competence (grammatical syllabi) and sociolinguistic competence (functional syllabi) leaving strategies to be attended to at the margin. This presentation examines why strategies should be given a stronger presence in classrooms that aim to teach communication. Presented will be background research, SLA theory and practical classroom applications.
Alastair Graham-Marr has his Masters in Applied Linguistics. He's been teaching in Japan for 18 years and currently is full time faculty member at Tokai University. He also works as an editor for ABAX Ltd, a specialty ELT publisher. He has edited and written parts of the Top-Up Listening series and the Communication Spotlight series. His research interests include the effect of output and the value of explicit learning on language acquisition.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Venue: Fukuoka Jo Gakuin Tenjin Satellite Campus (9F), Tenjin 2-8-38, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: