Conference: Bridging the Gap between Elementary and Junior High Shool English - Exchanging Ideas
Date: Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 Time: 9:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Speaker: Various speakers
In 2000 the Practical Handbook for Elementary School English Activities stated that according to the Elementary Education Guidelines, it was essential that students develop an interest in English, being able to not only hear it but also to be able to express themselves thereby developing a positive attitude towards the language.
The guidelines supported a view that focus should be placed on developing spoken language skills; topics should focus on introducing what students wanted to say, and on introducing them to items found in their daily lives, basic and useful expressions, and topics which would aid in building awareness of other cultures and peoples. Special attention on the basics was also stressed (numbers, places, buildings, directions, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, weather, event vocabulary, vehicles, colours, stationary, shopping, food, likes and dislikes, musical instruments, sports, parts of the body, animals and so on).
The guidelines went on to suggest that attention to useable expressions be made so that students would be able to express themselves on topics such as how they feel, what they think, on explaining what they do, and giving directions, as well as gaining skills in making suggestions, asking for permission and clarification, making requests, expressing wishes and linking expressions.
This year's conference will to look at activities based on meeting these criteria and building up elementary teachers' tools for success in the classroom.
For more information please go directly to the conference website.
Organization: Kagoshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kagoshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: Pre-booked 2500 yen and 3000 yen on the day
Students 1000 yen
Venue: Kagoshima University, Sougou Kyouiku Kenyu Tou (Look for the signs!)
Location: Kagoshima City, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kagoshima JALT