Documentary Film 'Obachan's Garden', followed by Q and A session
Date: Sunday, October 18th, 2009 Time: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Linda Ohama
Linda Ohama is a third generation Japanese-Canadian who has produced seven full length feature films centering on the struggles of people, including working and living in a foreign country, and the suffering of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War, etc. Her latest film, Obachan's Garden, has won international acclaim. She is also very interested in story-telling. Her work is certainly relevant to us as language educators in Japan. You can preview Linda's films by going to her website at www.lindaohama.com. She is currently in development with several projects including the feature films, "Perfection of the Morning" (Canada) and "Summerhouse Dreams" (Japan). The director will present her award-winning film, "Obaachan's Garden", the story of her grandmother, the last living picture bride in Canada when she passed away at nearly 105 years old. Linda will discuss her work as a filmmaker and educator, and the importance of preserving personal stories to understand the impact of history, politics,family and culture on our lives.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Venue: Shinshu University, Faculty of Arts, Room #4
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: