A Teacher Training Course for Teachers of Young Children
Date: Sunday, January 24th, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Mary Virgil-Uchida
At most universities, the teaching of English to children is an area that is often overlooked, and no special training courses for teachers have been offered. However, since English classes will start in elementary schools from 2011, there is a need for trained teachers, and many universities are now introducing such courses. For three years, Hokusei University has had a special TEFL class for its students who hope to teach children.
This course has been taught over two semesters. The first semester covers the methodology and theories behind the teaching of children. The second semester, which is taught by Mary Virgil, covers many of the techniques that a teacher needs to know to be able to teach English to children.
In this workshop, Mary will talk about her experiences in setting up the course, as well as explain what one needs to know to teach a TEFL course at the university level. In the first hour, Mary will share how she set up the course, what books are available, and how she evaluates the students. In the second hour Mary will demonstrate a wide variety of games, activities and songs that a teacher of children must know in order to be an effective teacher.
This presentation will especially interest teachers who are already teaching such a course, as well as those who might be asked to teach a TEFL course in the future. In addition, current teachers of children will be able to pick up some new ideas and ways to use of the basic activities used to teach children.
Mary Virgil-Uchida has been teaching in Sapporo for over 28 years. She is the owner of ABC House English School and Niseko English Nature Camp. She also teaches at Hokusei University and is coordinating the formation of a group for teachers who teach teacher training courses for teachers of young children.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hokkai Gakuen Daigaku, Building 6 (Subway Building), 3rd Floor, Room C-31, Sapporo
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: