Listening Skills: Critical in Asian Contexts
Date: Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Alastair Graham-Marr
Learners need huge amounts of comprehensible input to learn a foreign language. And listening is an easy way to get this. It is commonly observed that students who spend time listening to English outside of class (for example, movies, YouTube, music and so on) do better than those that don't. However, learners coming from syllable-timed or mora-timed languages (such as Japanese) often lack an ability to comprehend naturally-spoken English. The presenter will demonstrate how listening should be taught to learners from syllable- or mora-timed languages.
Alastair Graham-Marr has his Masters in Applied Linguistics. He's been teaching in Japan for 28 years. He is an Associate Professor at the Tokyo University of Science. In addition, he is an editor at ABAX Ltd, a specialty ELT publisher. He is currently in the third year of a government research grant into the difficulties that many Japanese learners face when listening to naturally-enunciated English.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: free (sponsored by ABAX)
Venue: ACROS Building, 2F, Seminar Room 2 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: