Understanding Japan's New University Entrance Exam System and Private Sector English Tests
Date: Sunday, October 21st, 2018 Time: 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM
Speaker: Young-Mi Lim
In Japan, the current National Center Test for University Admissions is planned to be replaced with a new university entrance exam system in the 2020 academic year. The government plans to introduce the use of privately run English tests as part of the new test system to evaluate the exam taker's English skills in all four areas - reading, listening, speaking and writing. This presentation will introduce characteristics of eight private English tests accepted for future university admission system. Second, it will address several issues associated with the new system such as the format and the aim of each test, testing fees, exam facilities and the measurement systems of four skills and certification standards for grading corresponding to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Third, the presentation discusses some issues related to English educators in Japan, especially focusing on the relationship between university entrance exams and high school education. Finally, the presentation provides some tips for high school students and university hopefuls in choosing an appropriate test and preparing for it.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: M-Wing, Room 4-2 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: