Coaching Success in the Classroom
Date: Friday, February 7th, 2003 Time: 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Coach Jimmy Yagi
In this presentation, Coach Jimmy Yagi, a former US collegiate basketball coach and advisor to many European basketball teams will speak on the parallels that coaching and language teaching share. Beneficial to participants will be the discussion on creative approaches used to motivate learning on the basketball court which could be successfully applied to the classroom, the relevance of stressing fundamentals, getting student's attention, and building credibility and trust. In addition, the presenter will introduce unorthodox coaching methods that can sometimes bring surprising results. Based on more than 30 years of coaching experience in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, Coach Yagi will introduce numerous coaching techniques that teachers could consider applying to their language-teaching classroom.
Jimmy Yagi was the University of Hawaii-Hilo basketball team for 18 years. After retiring from active coaching, Coach Yagi was contracted by Adidas International to conduct clinics in Europe, Asia and seemingly everywhere in between. He was recently listed as one of the top twenty influential sports figures in Hawaii.
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kyoto Kyoiku Bunka Center (Marutamachi, Sakyo-ku)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: