Promoting Cultural Sensitivity and Critical Thinking in English Class (day 1 of 2)
Date: Saturday, April 26th, 2003 Time: 1:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Speaker: Ada Loredo, Ateneo de Manila University
The topic is cultural sensitivity, with a focus on the Philippines, its language and culture, specifically the use of English. Day 1 will consist of first a 1-and-a-half hour picture game ice-breaker on stereotypical images of the Philippines. During the next 2 hours, the speaker presents the history and role of English in the Philippines. The remaining time will be used to examine certain examples of materials that are used in teaching and learning English today, with examples from the more progressive materials as well as the more traditional ones. Most of these progressive materials are the ones used by the speaker's university in its outreach program and in their undergraduate program. Prof. Ada Loredo, Department of English, Loyola Schools, Ateneo de Manila University.
(Note: day 2 is at a different location.)
Organization: AGEnT: Association for Global English Teaching (AGEnT)
Cost: 9000 yen for both days, or 5000 yen for 1 day
Venue: Teachers College Columbia University Tokyo (Note: day 2 is in a different location)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: