Bias and Balance in EFL Content on Controversial Issues
Date: Saturday, December 11th, 2004 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Trevor Sargent (Tottori University)
A disturbing trend toward promoting the teaching of biased views of controversial global issues in EFL classrooms, while inventing excuses for not offering of balanced approaches, has been gathering momentum under JALT auspices recently. This presentation looks at specific instances of this, points out the dangers for students and why this is forbidden by law in Britain, and offers solutions based on current academic practice and mainstream global education.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen; students 500 yen
Venue: Okayama Sankaku building near Omotecho in Okayama city
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: