Video-Based Pragmatics Course
Date: Saturday, June 25th, 2005 Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Speaker: John Rylander and Donna Tatsuki
John Rylander and Donna Tatsuki describe a course that targets false-beginner to low-intermediate university students ranging from first to fourth-year students at a women's university in Kobe. The course design was structured around a 14-week semester with one 90-minute class per week. Included in this presentation will be background information on the evolution of the course materials and pedagogical theories underpinning the use and construction of various elements within the course. As part of the example lesson, audience members will be taught using a combination of video-based examples of speech acts taken from various media sources and edited for instructional purposes, and a set of guided discovery worksheets to stimulate pair/group discussion and to focus learner attention on the 1) pragmalinguistic forms realized within the clips and 2) sociopragmatic elements relevant to the setting.
Organization: Kobe Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kobe JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kobe YMCA (2-7-15 Kano-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe. tel: 078-241-7204)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kobe JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: