Adapting textbooks for more successful lessons
Date: Sunday, June 4th, 2006 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: Tetsu Osada, Yashiro High School
In this workshop, high school teacher Tetsu Osada will discuss the problems facing EFL teachers at Japanese high schools and colleges which result from using published textbooks. These problems arise when activities are not suitable for large classes and/or monolingual situations (in which all of the participants share the same native language). Some activities are too mechanical, whereas others are so ambitious that students cannot produce output as is intended by the textbook. Such unsuccessful activities may not only lead to demotivation, but also result in students being unable to communicate in the target language. In order to solve these problems, underlying causes will be identified, and ideas for adapting published textbooks for more appropriate (and hence more successful) lessons will be explored and suggested.
Osada is now teaching at Yashiro High School. His main interests are listening tests and textbook adaptation. He holds a M.Ed. in TESOL from University of Edinburgh.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Matsumoto M-Wing, Room 4-2, across from PARCO
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: