Teaching English with C.A.R.E.!
Date: Sunday, March 25th, 2007 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Matthew Taylor
Matthew Taylor will discuss the core principles he feels are essential for the effective teaching of English to children in Japan. These principles are distilled from extensive experience teaching children and from working with dynamic and creative mentors, in particular Tamiko Yamaoka. His four principles are captured in the anagram, C.A.R.E.
"C" stands for "Change": Activities should be short and there should be great variety.
"A" stands for "Action": physical movement should be worked into many or most activities.
"R" stands for "Rewards": there should be both intrinsic and extrinsic rewards for the students.
"E" stands for "English Only": all teacher talk, and as much student talk as possible, should be in English.
Though these principles are not exhaustive, they cover many if not most of the bases. The presenter will first explain these four principles, demonstrating them with practical examples and group participation, then provide time for questions and discussion.
Organization: Toyohashi Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Toyohashi JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Aichi University, Bldg 5 - room 543
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Toyohashi JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0532-88-2658
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0532-46-6299