Focus on Form in English Teaching: Integrating Meaning and Form
Date: Saturday, November 3rd, 2001 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Sean Izumi, Sophia University
We will focus on the issues concerning how we can best integrate focus on meaning or communication on the one hand and focus on language forms or grammar on the other. We will also take a historical perspective on the issues of grammar teaching and overview some of the most popular proposals that have been put forth for language teaching over the last few decades. We will examine the rationale and problems of each of these approaches to language teaching. Then, we will consider the notion of focus on form proposed by Mike Long (1991, 1998) and others, which tries to integrate attention to form and attention to meaning in the course of language leaning and teaching. The subsequent discussion will focus on issues that need to be addressed in focus-on-form teaching. We will see some SLA studies that have examined the efficacy of focus on form in second language leaning.
Organization: Akita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Akita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: GH-300, MSU-A (Minnesota State University Akita)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Akita JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0184-22-1562
Phone (work): 0184-22-1562