Date: Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Steve Cornwell and Deryn Verity
Whether studying for a masters or a doctorate; conducting quantitative or qualitative research, working as a teacher or administrator, or looking for a new job, one thing that almost all of us working in education have in common is the need to publish. Many of us live in a publish-or-perish world, and even if we do not feel the pressure to publish, publishing offers a chance to engage with our colleagues about our work. This presentation will help writers understand the publishing process from selecting a journal and submitting an article to receiving reviewer's feedback, and handling revisions (and even how to disagree with a review).
Steve Cornwell is a graduate of the Ed.D. program at Temple University Japan and the MAT program at the School for International Training. He is editor of the Jalt Journal. In addition to his editing work, he has been an Editorial Advisory Board member for JALT publications, has served on the Publications Committee for TESOL, Inc. and has reviewed manuscripts for various publishers including Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, McGraw Hill, and MacMillian Education.
Deryn Verity currently teaches at Osaka Jogakuin College. She has taught English, applied linguistics, and graduate courses in teacher education at St Michael's College, William Paterson University (USA), Osaka University, and other institutions in the United States, Thailand, Poland and Japan. She is currently teaching for the MATESOL program at Teachers College Tokyo, and writing and teaching courses for the new online MATESOL course being offered by the New School University. An active member of local and national JALT meetings, she served as Associate Editor of the JALT Journal for three years. Her primary interests in the field of teacher education include language awareness for teachers, sociocultural theory, and second language pedagogy.
Organization: Osaka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Osaka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Namba Shimin Gakushu Center (Osaka City Municipal Lifelong Learning Center - Namba branch), (O-CAT 4F, 06 6643-7010) http://www.osakademanabu.com/namba/
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Osaka JALT
Email QR Code: