ELT and the Science of Happiness: Positive psychology in the classroom
Date: Sunday, October 24th, 2010 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Marc Helgesen, Miyagi Gakuin Women's University
Positive, motivated students -- engaged in what they are studying and with each other -- learn more. How do we facilitate that positive attitude in the classroom? This activity-based session looks at ways positive psychology (TIME magazine calls it "The science of happiness") can be combined with clear language learning goals for active, invested learning. This is more than "positive self-talk." It is sharing with our students the concrete behaviors that happy people engage in. We'll look at the set-point of personal affect and the tipping point of positivity.
Marc Helgesen is author of more than 100 professional articles, books and textbooks including the popular English Firsthand series and has lead teacher development workshop on 5 continents. He is professor at Miyagi Gakuin Women's University, Sendai and adjunct at Teachers College Columbia University, MA Program, Tokyo. He maintains a website on this topic at ELTandHappiness.terapad.com
Organization: Iwate Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Aiina, Morioka, 6th Floor, Room 802
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: