Praising Effectively for Positive Affect
Date: Sunday, June 24th, 2012 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Joseph Falout, Nihon University
We will analyze and practice the language that teachers might use with learners to promote the positive affect that leads to motivating mindsets. The presenter will provide a theoretical background from an integrated compilation of leading research findings, guiding participants to reflect on how EFL learners in Japan became demotivated and remotivated over several years.
For pedagogical application, participants will explore two mindsets that can influence the motivations of learners' growth mindsets (incremental thinking) and fixed mindsets (entity thinking). Teachers can help develop motivating mindsets by giving appropriate praise, directing reasoning about successes and failures, and supporting positive beliefs learners have of their own abilities. Participants will gain deeper understanding and appreciation of the beneficial long-term effects their words can bring.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hokkai Gakuen University, Room C-31 in Bldg. 6
Location: Sapporo City, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: