Practical Ideas for Teaching Pronunciation
Date: Sunday, July 15th, 2012 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Ayako Kanamaru (Caritas Junior/Senior High), Chie Shiramizu (Kyoei University), and Terry Yearley
First presentation: There are two major strands for teaching pronunciation; segment-focused instruction (focusing on phonemes) and suprasegment-focused instruction (focusing on stress, rhythm, and intonation). This workshop shares some ideas of practical activities in teaching pronunciation from both instructional viewpoints mentioned above, aiming at various age levels of learners (young learners to adults). Moreover, an ongoing longitudinal research project on the effectiveness of prosody (suprasegmental)-focused instruction at a private junior high school will be presented briefly to share some methodological ideas.
Second presentation: We will begin by noting some issues in teaching pronunciation and then discussing our individual pronunciation teaching policies. The main part of the workshop will consist of a tour of some useful ideas in dealing with particular points in pronunciation.
Finally, there will be an opportunity for participants to share their own ideas.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Kannai Hall map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: