Basic applied statistics for language education research
Date: Sunday, March 15th, 2015 Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Speaker: Matthew Apple (Ritsumeikan University)
This workshop aims to provide language teachers with the statistical tools they need to conduct classroom-based research. The first half of the workshop will consist of an overview of commonly-used statistical analyses, the concepts of normal distribution and measurement error, and issues of reliability and validity. The second half of the workshop will give participants the opportunity to practice statistical analysis using ersatz data files of vocabulary quiz scores and questionnaire results. Statistical analysis methods covered will include descriptive statistics, t-tests, correlations, and ANOVA (analysis of variance). Participants will need a laptop computer with a spreadsheet program. Participants will need to download data files for use during this workshop. The address for download will be posted closer to the date on www.kyotojalt.org.
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Campus Plaza Kyoto (map )
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: