More Talking, Less Drilling: Developing Tasks with Communicative Intent
Date: Sunday, July 10th, 2016 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Brett Walter (Hiroshima University)
In a language classroom, tasks are often developed that are little more than drills, having students repeat the same phrase multiple times while only replacing one or two key vocabulary words and drilling only for the sake of drilling. In the field of Second Language Acquisition, a task is an activity that structures interaction among participants and uses language for an outcome that is both concrete and focuses on the exchange of meaning. Participants in this workshop will learn about and develop different types of tasks that, unlike common drills, have a communicative purpose driving them.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: International Conference Center Hiroshima, Hiroshima Peace Park
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: