DIY NeuroELT: Seven keys for making your textbook more brain-friendly
Date: Saturday, October 21st, 2017 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Marc Helgesen
Whoever wrote your textbook was thinking about grammar and vocabulary, perhaps tasks and motivation - and was probably not focused on brain science. But the brain is where learning occurs. As MBE (Mind/Brain/Education) pioneer famously said, "Designing curriculum without knowing about the brain is like designing a glove without knowing about the hand." This session will introduce seven (7) quick and easy ways to make your textbook (yes, even Monkasho-approved books!) more appropriate for brain-compatible learning. We'll specifically look at modifying textbooks tasks to make them better. They are:
- Go for emotion!
- Give learners choices
- The brain needs novelty
- Teach across the senses
- Learners need a challenge
- Let learners create
Practical examples, plus the science behind each idea will be presented. Teachers are encouraged to bring along a textbook they are teaching. In the workshop sections of the session, you'll be encouraged to think about how you can modify it. See Marc's webpages for more on this topic.
Organization: Nagoya Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagoya JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Nagoya International Center, Floor 5
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagoya JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 052-781-4679
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 090-4265-0526