Introduction of iPad Video Materials and Methods for Task-Based Group Discussion in English
Date: Saturday, July 14th, 2018 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Kazumi Kato (Tokai University)
Do your students really speak English in a group? This presentation will introduce a teaching method of how to conduct group work in English. The task-based group project was conducted by native English students in a college in the U.K., and their group work was recorded with a video camera. Using the video, model materials for group discussion were made for Japanese students. Lessons using these authentic materials were conducted in 13 different university classes in Japan with several revisions. The unique point of this method is that students record their own group discussion with iPad and compare and analyze their discussion to the native English students. In addition, they collect English expressions they want to use in a group and had output opportunities. I will introduce the video materials and methodologies with student reflections. This teaching method can help students notice of their weak points and find better expressions and strategies for their group discussion in a classroom.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first visit & F/T uni students free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code: