Vocabulary and Grammar as Foundations for Reading Instruction
Date: Sunday, November 17th, 2002 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Dr. William Grabe, Northern Arizona University
In discussions of reading research and its implications for instruction, the roles of vocabulary and grammar are often minimized. William Grabe leads a workshop that highlights the importance of these two neglected areas, and explores ways that they can be taught usefully in support of reading skills development. Example texts will then be examined to give practical consideration to various options and opportunities.
About the speaker:William Grabe is Professor of English and Chair of the English Department at Northern Arizona University. He is also the author of The Theory and Practice of Writing (with R.B. Kaplan, 1996) and the soon-to-be-published volume in the Longman series of Applied Linguistics in Action entitled Reading (with Fredricka Stoller), and a leading researcher in issues of L2 reading, writing, and literacy. He is currently the president of the American Association of Applied Linguistics and was, until recently, the chief editor of the Annual Review of Applied Linguistics.
Organization: Nagoya Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagoya JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Nagoya International Center 3rd Floor (Sakuradori line from Nagoya Station, 1 stop to Kokusai Center Station)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagoya JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 052-781-4679
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 090-4265-0526