Putting Words in their Mouths: Dictogloss, Shadowing, and Summarizing
Date: Sunday, March 9th, 2003 Time: 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Speaker: John Small, Kumamoto Gakuen University
This presentation will cover three activities that give students structured language practice: dictogloss (grammar dictation), shadow talking and summarizing. With dictogloss, students actively recreate the spoken text,discuss differences and missing information with partners, and participate in a review of the grammar of individual sentences. The presenter will also explain some variations on the standard dictogloss method and provide extension activities that involve a picture story that corresponds to the dictogloss narrative. Shadow talking, which simply involves the repetition of spoken input, can be done out loud or silently by students. Summarizing an article with a mind map will also be covered. Presentation materials come from the presenter's self-published, non-profit, global issues textbooks.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Iwate Kokusai Koryu (Iwate International Plaza) in Morioka, phone: 019-654-8900.
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: