Language - What Is It That We Are Teaching?
Date: Sunday, March 30th, 2003 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: roundtable discussion
The March meeting will be a discussion the nature of language. Our individual models of language determine how and what we teach. Thus, it is very important that we, as teachers, have a clear and usable understanding of the nature of language, so that our teaching will be consistent and effective.
A pre-reading handout is available for participants to read before attending. To recieve this handout, contact John Wiltshier [email@example.com]. We will begin the discussion with the points mentioned in the pre-reading: relative clauses, universal grammar (UG), learnability, the critical period hypothesis, access to UG, markedness, and cognitive versus linguistic explanations. Where the discussion goes from there will depend on the participants.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free (also free for TALE members; TALE is Tohoku Association of Language Educators)
Non-members: 1000 yen (for non-JALT and non-TALE members), students 500 yen
Venue: Aoba-ku Chuo Shimin Center (formerly the Ichibancho Shimin Center)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: