"Conceptual Metaphors" and Figurative Language in the EFL Classroom
Date: Sunday, February 29th, 2004 Time: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Speaker: Fraser Gould
Native English speakers use an average of 4 metaphoric expressions per minute of natural conversation, yet figurative language is generally overlooked by EFL textbooks. This workshop will look at what George Lakoff and Mark Johnson call conceptual metaphors and how they influence language(s). Crosscultural metaphors will be considered, and participants will discuss how these conceptual metaphors can be used in the EFL classroom to help our students understand figurative language.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Mary's English Talk, 2-9-65 Kuroishino, Morioka; 019-663-3132
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: