West Tokyo JALT:
Discovering the Joy of Play in Language Learning
Date: Sunday, March 14th, 2004 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Maria Lockhart
Too often Japanese students exit from high school having a limited grasp of the English language. Generally, in their language learning they have been passive participants. Language happens to them, around them, but not through them. Making language 'real' for EFL students is a particular challenge for teachers. Forced output activities provide one avenue for increasing motivation and language use in the classroom. Another possibility is through engaging learners in drama activities and games where an emotional, physical or competitive element provides the incentive for increased participation. The seminar will explore a number of practical ways learners can be engaged in language learning, where the activity itself, beyond the language use it requires, becomes the driving force for participation and experimentation with language. The following areas will be touched upon:
- readers theatre,
- short skits,
- physical conversation games, and
- practice drills with a punch.
Organization: West Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (West Tokyo JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Tachikawa Shimin Kaikan (Tachikawa Citizens' Hall)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact West Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code: