ESP (English for Specific Purposes) - Adapting an American High School Science Textbook for the ESL/EFL Classroom
Date: Saturday, March 27th, 2004 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Stephen Shucart
In this talk, Stephen Shucart explores how to use an American science textbook in a university-level English class. He used the Active Reading series of textbooks by Neal Anderson as a basis for the adaptation. He first gives a detailed explanation of his Active Reading methodology, then shows how it can be used to generate various exercises for a General English course. Shucart also explains how each class is organized. The talk is illustrated with handouts of examples from the textbook, as well as samples of the activities he created based on this Active Reading methodology.
Organization: Akita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Akita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Joinus in Akita City near Senshu Park
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Akita JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0184-22-1562
Phone (work): 0184-22-1562