Two Presentations: Wrestling With Writing: A Case Study; Nontraditional Extreme Storytelling Activities
Date: Sunday, September 11th, 2005 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Tom Anderson and M. Delano Cannegieter
Teaching writing skills to large university classes that consist of many "motivationally-challenged" students can seem a teacher's nightmare. Tom Anderson will discuss a writing course he has developed and taught that deals head-on with this situation. Issues to be covered include classroom seating arrangement, grouping, course content/activities, term projects and grading. Audience participation and discussion will be warmly encouraged. Tom Anderson has nearly 20 years teaching in area Kanto universities. Afterwards, M. Delano Cannegieter unearths extreme storytelling activities, e.g., interview-based ghost stories, lyric-originated narratives and survey-grounded summarizations. Ideas will be shared on getting students to procure story material from nontraditional sources. M. Delano Cannegieter teaches at Tokyo Woman's Christian University, and was previously a children's English teacher.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Ginou Bunka Kaikan (Skills & Culture Center) near JR Kannai & Yokohama Subway Isezakichojamachi [See yojalt.bravehost.com for details & a map]
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: