DEUCE: a system design for evaluating ESL competence tests
Date: Monday, September 26th, 2005 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: George Weir
This talk describes work in progress to apply a Web-based facility for evaluating differing criteria for English language competence. The proposed system, Discriminated Evaluation of User's Competence with English, or DEUCE, addresses the problem of evaluating individual criteria for competence in English as a Second Language (ESL). We describe the rationale, design and application of DEUCE and outline its potential as a discriminator or ESL competence criteria.
About the speaker:
Dr George R S Weir studied Philosophy as an undergraduate at Glasgow University and as a postgraduate at Edinburgh University. He studied BITS at Strathclyde University before becoming a postdoctoral researcher in Computer Science. Subsequently appointed as a lecturer in CS.
NOTE: Please register as early as possible so that we may book the most appropriate facility. Send pre-registration requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This special lecture is co-sponsored by the JALT Pragmatics SIG & the JALT Tokyo Chapter.
Organization: Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Tokyo JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: International Student Center, Tokyo Medical Dental University
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: