(1) Cultivating Active Readers; (2) From Egg Crate to Omelet: Energizing Teacher Development
Date: Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Speaker: Neil Anderson
1. 2:00-3:00 pm: Using examples from Active Skills for Reading, Second Edition, the author will show how graded steps towards developing reading fluency can be taken from the lowest levels onwards, and will also show how taking an "ACTIVE" approach to reading can increase English language learners' reading comprehension and fluency. Participants will walk away with practical ideas and materials to use in their classrooms.
2. 3:30-5:00 pm: Teachers and classrooms have been compared to an egg crate (Lortie, 1975) where teachers enter the privacy of their classrooms and do not allow others to enter. Each classroom stays in it's compartment of the egg crate and does not come in contact with others. Instead of viewing our work through the lens of an egg crate, let's energize our teaching by considering how we can make an omelet. This session will focus on 13 ways that teachers can make their teaching public and thus improve their teaching.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: free thanks to Cengage Learning (formerly Thomson Learning) financial support
Venue: Hokusei Gakuen University, Oyachi, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: