Brazilian Education in Tokai
Date: Saturday, April 19th, 2008 Time: 7:00 PM - 8:45 PM
Speaker: Claudio da Silva (Escola Comunitaria Paulo Freire) and Craig Alan Volker (Gifu Shotoku Gakuen University)
In recent years, the Tokai region has experienced a rapid increase in the number of foreign residents, especially Brazilians, now the largest ethnic minority in the region. Many Portuguese-speaking children in public schools often have problems because of poor Japanese skills, a lack of support with homework, and a lack of understanding of their cultural background. Private Brazilian schools are often not regulated by either Japanese or Brazilian law. This presentation discusses the challenges of establishing a school in Toyota that provides a high level of education and bilingualism in both Japanese and Portuguese. Advice for teaching Brazilian children in public schools will also be discussed.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Heartful Square (southeast section of Gifu JR Station), Gifu City, Gifu-ken
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code: