Understanding Vygotskyan Theory for Classroom Practice
Date: Sunday, April 27th, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Deryn P. Verity, Osaka Jogakuin College
In this workshop, practical applications of sociocultural theory for the classroom will be introduced and practiced. Reflective activities will be used to provide experiential contact with the theoretical concepts involved, and ways of incorporating
(1) the theoretical principles of the Zone of Proximal Development,
(2) the social origins of cognition, and
(3) the notion of self-regulation into ordinary language lessons will be explored.
Although the focus of the workshop will be on teaching young adults and older, there should be something adaptable for all proficiency and age levels. A good proportion of the presentation time will involve discussion on adapting and incorporating theory into practice.
Deryn P. Verity lives and works in Osaka. She has taught in the United States, Morocco, Jordan, Thailand, Poland, Serbia, and Slovenia. She enjoys working with teachers who are interested in sociocultural theory and Vygotskyan ideas, and currently teaches in the New School University's online MATESOL program and in the Teachers College Tokyo MATESOL program.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Sousaku Shitsu (7th fl, Chuou Shimin Center (PAL City building), close to Sendai Station's East exit
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: