Date: Saturday, November 17th, 2001 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Anne Burns, Macquarie University in Australia
In this presentation, Anne will begin by discussing briefly recent approaches to reading research and the influences they have had on teaching practice. You will be asked to identify some of your own ideas and practices based on these approaches. Some practical examples of different approaches to enhancing reading skills will be discussed. These will include activities with a focus on language skills (eg vocabulary development), meta-cognitive strategies (eg prediction) and socio-cultural practices (eg critical reading). Activities to encourage learners to extend their reading will be also be included.
This event is part of the Four Corners Tours 2001, which are opportunities for JALT National Conference speakers to visit local JALT chapters throughout the country.
Organization: Chiba Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Chiba JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Josai International University, 1 Gumyo, Togane, Chiba
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.