Developing Lexical Competence: From Theory to Classroom Practice to Online Application
Date: Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Charles M. Browne (Meiji Gakuin University)
This seminar will consider the development of Lexical Competence from several points of view. Through a review of some of the core research in second language vocabulary acquisition we will first try to dispel some of the "myths" about vocabulary learning that are still prevalent among classroom practitioners and researchers. After developing a basic understanding of how vocabulary should be tested, taught and learned, we will then move on to consider a range of classroom vocabulary teaching and testing techniques based on current research. Finally, we will look at and get hands on practice in using a variety of online tools for testing, teaching and conducting research on second language vocabulary acquisition. Papers required for those who take this course for credit will ask participants to use and assess one of the many online tools in the context of current research in this area.
This seminar is co-sponsored by Temple University Japan. The first three hours (Saturday, 2 to 5 p.m.) are free and open to the public.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Venue: Fukuoka Jo Gakuin Satellite Campus, (9F), Tenjin 2-8-38, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: