How Do Students Pick a Number? Seeking Course Evaluation Insights
Date: Sunday, September 26th, 2010 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Christine Winskowski
When students rate their college course and instructor in end-of-semester evaluations, do student choose a 3 for different reasons from choosing a 4 or 5? Data from 34 college students completing two lecture course evaluation forms suggests some evaluation items prompt similar and predictable responses which seem to match the rating number selected. However, other items prompted dissimilar responses, similar responses with different ratings, even responses that seem unmatched to the ratings or that seem unpredictable. In this presentation, participants will have a chance to examine selected data, predict corresponding ratings, and discuss the items and student responses.
Christine Winskowski, Ph.D., teaches English and western studies at Morioka Junior College, Iwate Prefectural University. She directed the ESL Program at Lewis University, Illinois, and taught elsewhere in the U.S. and China. Her research interests include higher education and U.S. social and cultural history.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Aiina, Morioka, 6th Floor, Room 602
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: