Language Output, Language Input: things that are true of all
Date: Sunday, September 26th, 2010 Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Speaker: Alastair Graham-Marr
This talk will look at some of the underlying aspects of how learners produce or understand spoken English aspects that are universally true regardless of the age group or language level of the learners involved. Among these are the understanding of and use of communication strategies, the grammatical system, the phonological system and vocabulary. The talk will then examine to what extent these different items can be taught and what the research shows about the practice of output and input and how such practice relates to gains in proficiency in the production and reception of language.
Biography: Alastair Graham-Marr, M. Appl. Ling., has been teaching in Japan for over 18 years. He has presented in Thailand, the UAE, the US, Taiwan and is a frequent presenter in Japan. For the past four years he has been an instructor on the David English House / OUP Certificate in Teaching Japanese Students course. Alastair is also author of Communication Spotlight: Speaking Strategies & Listening Skills, a series of textbooks for Oral Communication classes for high-school and college level students.
Organization: Himeji Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Himeji JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Himeji, Shikama Library Building, 2nd Floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Himeji JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0792-92-8808