Conversation Analysis: Practical Applications for the Classroom
Date: Saturday, September 18th, 2010 Time: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Speaker: Donna Fujimoto
Language teachers are busy people, so it is a challenge to keep up with the latest research on pedagogy and language learning. This presentation will help teachers get an understanding of Conversation Analysis, a methodology which involves the microanalysis of transcriptions of talk, both institutional and informal. This research methodology is rigorous and systematic, and as a result, holds great promise for understanding the process of student learning. The most practical outcome, however, is raising teacher awareness of everyday classroom interaction.
Donna Fujimoto is Associate Professor at Osaka Jogakuin College where she teaches English and Intercultural Communication. She is Co-Program Chair for SIETAR Kansai (Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research), Co-Publicity Chair for the Pragmatics SIG, and Coordinator of the Contrast Culture Method, an intercultural training approach. She is currently doing Conversation Analysis research on novice learners in small group discussion and has a long-time interest in pragmatics and the study of narratives.
Organization: Oita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Oita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Oita Art Museum, Oita City
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Oita JALT
Email QR Code: