Developing Lower-level Processing Skills in English L2 Reading/Listening
Date: Saturday, December 14th, 2013 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Shigeo Kato
The talk first attempts to bridge theory and practice for teaching L2 reading by presenting a series of instructional techniques, including reading aloud and shadowing activities, for promoting accuracy and fluency in the connections between the three sublexical components, i.e. phonology, orthography, and semantics. This is done by applying empirical bases from the framework of working memory, particularly the theoretical construct of the phonological loop. The talk further attempts to discuss the implication of recent findings in neuropsychology, in particular mirror neurons, to the instruction of L2 listening ability, focusing on the impact of developing lower-level production accuracy and fluency, again using reading aloud/shadowing techniques.
Organization: Niigata Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Niigata JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Tokimeito Meeting Facility map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Niigata JALT
Email QR Code: