Teaching Speaking: Classroom exercises
Date: Saturday, July 2nd, 2016 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Terry Yearley (Saitama University)
We will examine some speaking exercises with regard to how and why they are used in the language classroom. We will begin with an overview of Nation's four strands (meaning-focused input, meaning-focused output, language-focused learning, and fluency development), and then look at how speaking fits into this framework. We will then explore the usage of two specific exercises ('432' and 'Talking Zone') and discuss their roles within the Four Strands. Finally, we will share other speaking activities in groups and attempt to categorize their respective roles.
Terry Yearley has a first class honors degree in Linguistics with TEFL, and an MA TESOL. He has been teaching EFL in Japan since 2001, and currently teaches speaking and writing at Saitama University. He is the Program Chair for West Tokyo JALT, and the Program Officer for ETJ Tokyo.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Matsumoto City Tourist Information Centre (2F)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code: